ABOUT THE CONTEST
NineSigma, representing The Hershey Company, seeks to identify new systems or materials that will allow chocolate to be shipped in warm weather without the need for gel packs. For a full explanation of the contest, please view the Contest Summary Document.
Participants in this contest vie for US$25,000 in development funds, to be awarded at the conclusion of Phase 2, and may have the opportunity to further collaborate with Hershey to develop proposed solutions.
Up to five (5) respondents will be selected to advance to Phase 2, and each will receive US$10,000 for prototype development. Groups will have until mid-July, 2016 to fabricate and deliver 5 working prototypes to Hershey. Hershey will evaluate the prototypes’ performance against one another and against a minimum performance threshold.
There may be additional funded development opportunities for the awarded technology.
Successful technologies will:
- Maintain packaged chocolate temperatures at or below 75°F for 48-72 hours
- Be less than 3 years from commercialization
- Operate without pre-freezing of components
- Prevent chocolate from freezing
- Contain materials approved for food contact
- Contain chemical components that are generally regarded as safe (GRAS)
- Be adaptable to different sized shipments
- Have a price point that is compatible with consumer shipments of chocolate candy bars
- Be comparable or less in size and weight with current cold shipping systems
The most compelling proposals will be supported with data.
Participants must complete and submit the online response form by 5:00pm Eastern Time on February 15, 2016. The completed document will serve as an introduction to the respondent’s technology and expertise, and should include evidence to support the approach’s technical feasibility, as well as a discussion of the advantage offered by the proposed approach.
Phase 1 winners will be selected by April 14, 2016, and be invited to deliver five working prototypes to Hershey by July 14, 2016. Hershey will evaluate the prototypes’ performance against one another and against a minimum performance threshold. Award winners will be announced in October, 2016.
See Terms and Conditions for details. Contest opens on December 1, 2015. Must submit at least one entry by 5:00pm Eastern Time on February 15, 2016, to be eligible. Must be 18 years of age or older to participate. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.