ABOUT THE CONTEST
NineSigma, on behalf of the National Science Foundation, invites solutions, such as algorithms or methods, to enhance the clarity of conversation in noisy settings.
The total prize pool is made up of US$146,000 in cash prizes and the opportunity to present a poster about the winning solutions at Ubicomp 2017 in Maui, Hawaii.
- First Place: US$80,000 and an invitation to present at Ubicomp 2017
- Second Place: US$60,000 and an invitation to present at Ubicomp 2017
- Third Place: An invitation to present at Ubicomp 2017 and US$3,000 towards expenses
- Fourth Place: An invitation to present at Ubicomp 2017 and US$3,000 towards expenses
Prize funds are to assist with the expenses to attend Ubicomp 2017.
Competitors will use a pre-recorded audio file of a spoken conversation in a noisy restaurant setting, to develop the proposed solution and report the words heard in the recording.
The successful technology will:
- Enable clear conversation spoken at a normal level between two or more people, in a room with background noise and other conversation that vary in intensity
- If hardware is utilized, use consumer quality devices
- Offer real-time processing with minimal delay between words spoken and speech extracted, to enable normal pace of conversation
Download the Challenge Summary for a full description of the Success Criteria.
The Challenge Sponsor has produced audio files containing spoken conversation recorded in a noisy restaurant setting. Competitors' solutions should process the audio file using the proposed approach and report the words heard in the recording.
Competitors can download a sample audio file now to develop and train the proposed approach.
Directions to access and dowload the sample audio file can be found here.
The final test audio files will be made available on the Challenge site approximately one week before the Challenge deadline.
Proposals that do not include a video, or those that are business plans or executive summaries are not of interest.
Must submit by June 26, 2017, by 5:00 PM EDT to be eligible. Must be 18 years of age or older, and a US citizen or permenant US resident in order to participate. See the Official Challenge Rules for details.