- The solution to the world’s carbon challenge seems daunting; as the world grows, so does the demand for fossil fuels. The time for creative solutions is now. This Alberta initiative supports bold ideas from around the world that will make significant and verifiable GHG reductions. We’re committing CAD$35 million in funding for the most innovative technologies that will convert CO2 emissions into new carbon-based products and markets.
- Nations around the globe have been working to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. One way to achieve this is through the development of new technologies. The CCEMC is reaching out to the world for bold ideas that will make significant and verifiable GHG reductions by converting CO2 emissions into new carbon-based products and markets.
- This CAD$35 million, multi-stage event reduces GHG emissions by supporting innovative technologies that convert carbon into useful products. In the first round, we’re committing up to CAD$10 million through a maximum of 20 CAD$500,000 awards.
- Round 2, Phase 1, will launch in September 2015 with an open submission period where any applicant may submit a proposal for consideration. Successful proposals will be invited to advance to Phase 2 to compete alongside the Round 1 winners for up to 5 – CAD$3 million development grants.
- Learn more about the Round One winners, the winning technologies, and progress to date. Visit http://ccemc.ca/projects/carbon-use/ to read the latest updates and press releases.
Step 1 Learn About the Grand Challenge
This CAD$35 million multi-stage Challenge seeks a net reduction of green house gases (GHGs) of at least 1 megatonne through technologies that convert GHG emissions into valuable carbon-based products.
Step 2Round One Awardees Announced
We’re looking for ideas at all stages of research and development that are rooted in solid science and will help the world reduce emissions while finding useful applications for carbon. Ideas are welcome from, but not limited to, companies, academic researchers, research institutions, consultants, venture capitalists, entrepreneurs, and inventors. View the Round One results.
See the Schedule
Proposals are in the process of being reviewed. Learn more about how proposals are evaluated by reviewing the criteria.
While the period for round one proposals has passed, the submission period for round two begins September 2015. Learn how you can participate in upcoming rounds of the Grand Challenge.
This Challenge offers funding in each of the three evaluation rounds.
- Advisory Panel
Meet the Executive Advisory Panel who will be collaborating with the CCEMC’s evaluation committee to select awardees during each Round of the Grand Challenge.
- Rules, Terms,
Learn how you can participate while retaining all of your intellectual property. Find out about eligibility, confidentiality, and submission requirements.