The Challenge is a three-phase, prize-based competition to find and develop technology-based solutions that address or improve opioid abuse prevention, treatment and overdose avoidance and response.
The Idea Phase: Closed. Prize recipients were announced on January 30, 2018.
- Ideas were collected from technical and non-technical audiences to help inform topics for the Challenge Phase.
- Five (5) of the top ideas were selected to receive $10,000.
- Runners-up were entered to receive $500 prizes. Forty were awarded, 20 to citizen scientists and 20 to professionals/experts.
The Challenge Phase: Closed. Prize recipients were announced on September 12, 2018.
- Four Challenge Topics that address specific unmet needs or concerns related to opioid use, abuse and exposure.
- The Challenge Phase concluded by awarding twelve $200,000 prizes across the four Topics.
- Prize Recipients of the Challenge Phase are eligible to compete in the Product Phase.
The Product Phase: Closed. Prize recipients were announced on August 27, 2019.
- The Product Phase is the final stage that seeks to enable Challenge Phase Prize Recipients to develop and refine their solutions for market entry
- The Product Phase concluded by awarding four $1M prizes