Requirements for the proposed technology
- Should be able to identify compounds (plural, not single) contributing to the odor in the above gases
- Should be able to identify compounds greatly contributing to the odor, not those having high concentration in the odorous gases
- Should be able to assess each compound’s contribution to the odor
- It is preferable (but not mandatory) that the technology can assess not only each compound’s contribution to the odor, but also the contribution made by interactions among them.
Proposals from the following organizations are anticipated to fulfill the client’s requirements:
- Companies and academia that have addressed odor generated when heating molasses or culturing yeast
- Organizations that have not addressed above-mentioned odors, but are eager to identify them in collaboration with the client, using the following technology and skills:
- Instrumental analysis technology
- Sensory evaluation by trained panelists
- Experience, knowledge and know-how related to odorous and aromatic compounds
The client’s factories manufacture yeast using molasses as culture media. In a series of their manufacturing processes, odors are generated when heating molasses and culturing yeast.
While the client has already processed the odorous gases sufficiently, they are considering taking further measures. As the first step of their new efforts, the client has decided that identification of compounds greatly contributing to the odor is necessary; thus, they have issued this open request.
Items to be submitted
Responses should include the following items:
- Proposed flow of identification of odor compounds
- Details of preliminary study
- Method to collect odor compounds
- Analysis device to be used
- Method to conduct sensory evaluation
- Uniqueness of the proposed flow
- Past examples of identification of odor compounds
- Target gases/substances
- Identified compounds, etc.
- Conditions for sample testing using the client’s odorous gases (sample collection method, amount of sample required, cost, period, necessity of NDAs, etc.)
- Track records (e.g. additional information supporting the R&D capabilities, such as research papers and patents)
- Organization overview
Notes on Response
Proposal shall have clear points and should not include confidential information. Supplemental files may be submitted in addition to the proposal.
The client will evaluate all responses with the following criteria.
- Overall scientific and technical merit
- Approach to proof of concept or performance
- Economic potential of concept
- Realism of the proposed plan (action items, timeline, roles, deliverables, cost estimation)
- Potential for proprietary position
- Respondents’ capability and related experiences
Anticipated project process
After reviewing submitted proposals, the client possibly ask clarifying questions before selecting the most suitable candidates for collaboration. The client will select best candidates through evaluations. During the selection process, the client may execute NDA with selected respondents, seek further information disclosure, and discuss specific development targets or potential opportunities.
The client will execute necessary agreements with the selected respondents and move to the advanced development phase. Specifics of any collaboration will be determined through consultation with the concerned parties.