Anticipated approaches include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Technology using pervaporation (PV)
- Technology using forward osmosis (FO)
- Adsorption separation
- Process to take out some fermentation liquid, remove ethanol from the taken liquid, and put the liquid back in the fermenter
- Technology to degrade or convert ethanol inside the fermenter (by bacteria, enzymes, chemical reactions, etc.)
- Technology to remove ethanol in the fermenter by vaporizing it
The client, as a major food manufacturer, strives to improve productivity of food ingredients to supply a wide range of customers with quality foods at reasonable prices.
In the client’s fermentation process of food ingredient manufacturing, ethanol is produced as a byproduct. The client intends to improve the productivity of the process by continuously removing this ethanol, which inhibits growth of microorganisms, from fermentation liquid at the same time as fermentation.
In the meantime, numerous R&D activities to establish a technology to continuously separate alcohol have been widely conducted for various purposes, such as ABE fermentation, biofuel production, and brewing.
Therefore, the client has issued this open request to seek proposals from corporations and researchers around the globe to find a potential partner with whom the client can overcome the above challenge.
NOTES ON RESPONSE
Proposal shall have clear points and should not include confidential information. Supplemental files may be submitted in addition to the proposal.
The client will evaluate all responses with the following criteria.
- Overall scientific and technical merit
- Approach to proof of concept or performance
- Economic potential of concept
- Realism of the proposed plan (action items, timeline, roles, deliverables, cost estimation)
- Potential for proprietary position
- Respondents’ capability and related experiences
ANTICIPATED PROJECT PROCESS
After reviewing submitted proposals, the client possibly ask clarifying questions before selecting the most suitable candidates for collaboration. The client will select best candidates through evaluations. During the selection process, the client may execute NDA with selected respondents, seek further information disclosure, and discuss specific development targets or potential opportunities.
The client will execute necessary agreements with the selected respondents and move to the advanced development phase. Specifics of any collaboration will be determined through consultation with the concerned parties.