Shiseido, NineSigma’s client, is aiming to develop an application that can measure moisture, resilience, and smoothness of the texture in facial skin by taking photographs with a smartphone camera.
To conduct such measurements in a delicate manner, high-resolution images of skin surfaces are required. However, the images taken by a smartphone camera cannot provide the level of sampling density desired by the client.
Therefore, the client has issued this open request as a means to solicit technologies and ideas to realize higher-resolution images from the above-mentioned images so that the application is developed as soon as possible.
Proposal shall have clear points and should not include confidential information. Supplemental files may be submitted in addition to the proposal.
Items to be Submitted
Proposal may include the following items along the response form shown by clicking the “Respond” button.
- Several image files with different subjects processed by the proposed technology (range of skin area to be shot: about 5 mm x 7 mm; number of pixels: 300,000 or more), along with non-processed images and description of the following photographing conditions:
- Model of the used smartphone and the pixel number of the smartphone camera
- Time required to obtain high-resolution images (photograph taking + processing time)
- Overview, principle, and uniqueness of the technology
- Robustness of the proposed image processing against the shooting environment, such as lighting angles, or preconditions of the photographs to be analyzed
- Any request regarding the form of partnership with the client
- Current challenges and future plans (period and cost)
- Organization overview
The client will evaluate all responses with the following criteria.
- Overall scientific and technical merit
- Approach to proof of concept or performance
- Economic potential of concept
- Realism of the proposed plan (action items, timeline, roles, deliverables, cost estimation)
- Potential for proprietary position
- Respondents’ capability and related experiences
Anticipated Project Process
After reviewing submitted proposals, the client possibly ask clarifying questions before selecting the most suitable candidates for collaboration. The client will select best candidates through evaluations. During the selection process, the client may execute NDA with selected respondents, seek further information disclosure, and discuss specific development targets or potential opportunities.
The client will execute necessary agreements with the selected respondents and move to the advanced development phase. Specifics of any collaboration will be determined through consultation with the concerned parties.