Requirements for thermoplastic elastomer
- Highly miscible in Nylon6
- Domain size: less than 1μm, in case mixed into Nylon6
- Thermoplastic elastomer portion in Nylon6 : 25~50wt%
- Tensile Modulus@25%: 10MPa or less
- Melting point: 180℃ or more
- Can be used in low temperature:
- DMA (Dynamic Mechanical Analysis) Low Temperature Tg: -48℃or less
An expected production volume of this elastomer would be around 1,000 ton/year, if commercialized.
Approaches Not of Interest
The following approaches are not of interest:
- Use of general non-rubber based elastomer, e.g. TPA (Thermoplastic Polyamide elastomer), PEL (Polyester Elastomer), TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) etc
- Organizations that have developed similar material to the requested one, or are able to develop it within a few year efforts
- Organization that can produce 10kg over base sample for screening test.
The major chemical manufacturer, a client of NineSigma, is developing the film that has excellent long-time durability especially at low temperature. Right now, the client is trying to improve durability, at low temperature, in the Nylon film made with elastomer having low modulus. To speed up the time to market of their film products, the client has issued this open request to identify promising elastomers. We welcome proposals not only of the materials already commercialized, but also of those that are currently under laboratory level.
The application will be used -40~120℃ temperature range for several years.
Client already tried TPA (Thermoplastic Polyamide elastomer), PEL (Polyester Elastomer), TPU (Thermoplastic Polyurethane) and Impact Modifier but not satisfactory. So, they think that rubber-based elastomer would be good.
Items to be submitted
Proposal may include the following items. The response form will be shown by clicking the “Respond” button.
- Overview and principle of the technology
- Uniqueness of the technology
- Development stage (concept level/ proved by laboratory experiment/ commercialized)
- Current performance of the elastomer
- Miscibility with Nylon6, e.g. domain size
- Tensile Modulus (MPa)
- Melting point (℃)
- Low-temperature range of use (℃)
(DMA Analysis Result, Tg, Tand delta etc)
- Sample testing conditions (quantity of samples that can be provided, cost, time frame, contract terms and conditions, etc.)
- Issues in relation to meeting the client’s requirements and a development plan
- Past achievements (additional information illustrating R&D capabilities, e.g., research papers or patents)
- Organization overview
Please submit your proposal by clicking on "Respond" and completing the submission form
Notes on Response
Proposal shall have clear points and should not include confidential information. Supplemental files may be submitted in addition to the proposal.
The client will evaluate all responses with the following criteria.
- Overall scientific and technical merit
- Approach to proof of concept or performance
- Economic potential of concept
- Realism of the proposed plan (action items, timeline, roles, deliverables, cost estimation)
- Potential for proprietary position
- Respondents’ capability and related experiences
Anticipated Project Process
After the submission due date, the client will review all submitted proposals. NineSigma will send the review results to each proposer 6-8 weeks after the due date. The client possibly asks clarifying questions before selecting the most suitable candidates for collaboration. The client will select best candidates through evaluations. During the selection process, the client may execute NDA with selected respondents, seek further information disclosure, and discuss specific development targets or potential opportunities.
The client will execute necessary agreements with the selected respondents and move to the advanced development phase. Specifics of any collaboration will be determined through consultation with the concerned parties.