Requirements of sensor to measure sulfur content that needs to be ultimately developed
- Should be able to measure a minute amount of sulfur contained in diesel fuel
- Measurement range: 1–500 ppm
- Measurement resolution: 5 ppm or less
- As the sensor is expected to be mounted on a fuel tank of construction equipment, the following conditions should be met:
- Vibration: 10 G
- Temperature range: −20–80°C
- Water resistance: Compliant with IEC IP68
In this request, the client anticipates responses from the following organizations:
- Organization that has developed a sensor to analyze the components with low concentration using the following technical approaches and can modify and improve the sensor to fulfill the client’s requirements. (e.g. simplifying the sensor by narrowing down the target component to sulfur only)
- X-ray fluorescence analysis
- Ultraviolet fluorescence analysis
- Organization that has developed a stationary device that can measure minute sulfur content and is eager to develop a sensor that can be mounted on a vehicle
- Organization with a proposal not for a technology at a R&D level, but for a technology or sensor that is somewhat close to commercialization
Approaches Not of Interest
The following approaches are not of interest:
- A technology at a concept level
The client develops construction equipment. If such equipment uses fuel containing an amount of sulfur that falls outside the specifications, various problems occur, such as a decrease in performance of the emission gas processing system and, even in a worst case, damage to the system.
To address the above problems, the client strives to develop a sensor to measure sulfur content in diesel fuel to be mounted on a fuel tank of construction equipment, however, they have yet to identify a technology that fulfills its target requirements. They examined a handy-type sensor using commercialized technologies such as X-ray fluorescence or ultraviolet fluorescence analysis; however, problems remain, including insufficient measurement resolution.
Therefore, the client has issued this open request to accelerate development and realize early establishment of the technology.
Items to be submitted
NineSights, the platform of NineSigma’s Open Innovation community, allows you to manage all your proposals. Please contact the Solution Provider Help Desk email@example.com for assistance about registration and proposal submission.
Proposal may include the following items along the response form shown by clicking the “Respond” button.
- Overview, principle, and uniqueness of the technology
- Characteristics and uniqueness of the technology
- Development stage (Technology verified using a prototype / Under development for practical use / Implemented for practical use)
- Current performance
- Concentration range of the target component that can be measured
- Measurement resolution of the target component
- Feasibility of mounting the sensor on a vehicle (in terms of vibration, temperature changes, and water resistance)
- Estimated cost in the case that 10,000 sensors are mounted on construction equipment annually
- Current challenges and future plans to fulfill the client’s requirements
- Track records (e.g. additional information supporting the R&D capabilities, such as research papers and patents)
- Organization overview
Notes on Response
Proposal shall have clear points and should not include confidential information. Supplemental files may be submitted in addition to the proposal.
Anticipated Project Process
After reviewing submitted proposals, the client possibly ask clarifying questions before selecting the most suitable candidates for collaboration. The client will select best candidates through evaluations. During the selection process, the client may execute NDA with selected respondents, seek further information disclosure, and discuss specific development targets or potential opportunities.
The client will execute necessary agreements with the selected respondents and move to the advanced development phase. Specifics of any collaboration will be determined through consultation with the concerned parties.
The client will evaluate all responses with the following criteria.
- Overall scientific and technical merit
- Approach to proof of concept or performance
- Economic potential of concept
- Realism of the proposed plan (action items, timeline, roles, deliverables, cost estimation)
- Potential for proprietary position
- Respondents’ capability and related experiences