NineSigma’s client develops and produces a wide variety of packaging technologies, including those for usage in the food and beverage industries.
The client produces a dispensing valve currently comprised of a non-recyclable elastomer material. In an effort to improve the environmental footprint of its products, the client would like to identify alternative TPE grades with better sustainability and recyclability profiles without compromising on its best-in-class performance. If a suitable replacement is not currently on the market, the client is interested in formulating a custom TPE for their use.
To that end, the client desires responses from leading experts in the usage of thermoplastic elastomers. Those experts will also ideally possess:
- Experience in the food packaging industry related to:
- Sauces and condiments AND/OR
- Non-carbonated beverages AND/OR
- Dairy products
- Current regulations governing TPE usage as defined by the United States Food and Drug Administration as well as the regulations of European countries:
- US FDA: 21 CFR 176.170 & 21 CFR 177
- EU: 1935/2004/EC
- Knowledge of multiple TPE grades and varieties
- Knowledge of processes for formulating and molding TPE
- Recycling landscape in Europe
The client will evaluate submitted statements of qualifications and select the preferred expert. Depending on qualifications of respondents, the client may instead elect to engage with multiple experts in order to assemble a comprehensive view of the TPE technology space, including manufacturing, performance and end-of-life.
The selected expert(s) will, in exchange for compensation by the client, provide in-depth guidance in the selection, or creation, of a new grade of TPE with improved environmental profiles. At the client’s discretion, the expert(s) may also be requested, for additional compensation, to perform lab-scale joint development work in support of the client’s on-going development efforts.
Anticipated Project Phases or Project Plan
Phase 1 – Review of Responses
- Client will complete their initial review of responses during Q3 2019
Phase 2 – Direct Engagement
- Client will begin consultation work with selected respondent(s): Q4 2019 / Q1 2020
- Engagement expected to last 12-24 months