Key success criteria
NineSigma, representing a multibillion-dollar major medical device manufacturer, seeks development partners for measurement devices of glucose level in body fluid such as blood and lymph. A wide variety of technologies to establish a measurement device, such as glucose-responsive materials, electrode fabrication techniques and scientific knowledge of the principles of glucose level measurement, are of interest.
Measurement technology ultimately to be achieved
- Measurement object: Body fluid glucose levels
- Measurement range of glucose level:
1.0 – 22.0 mM (20-400 mg/dL)
- Measurement method: Capable of detecting glucose levels with an electric signal (e.g. change in voltage or current values)
Anticipated requirements for potential partner
Proposals from potential development partners who have the following materials, technologies and knowledges are welcomed. It is ultimately desirable to satisfy all the requirements, but we also welcome proposals that meet each one of the requirements.
- Glucose-responsive material suitable for measurement: Should be a non-enzymatic material (any kind of material, such as metal, carbon and organic substance, is acceptable). Any enzymes, except glucose dehydrogenase (GDH), are ruled out as candidate materials.
- Electrode fabrication technique for measurement: Any type of technique, including deposition methods of responsive material on an electrode base, or surface treatment technologies to activate reactions between an electrode base and glucose molecule (e.g. nanostructure formation), can be in scope. Overview of supposed base material is as follows.
- Type: Metal (e.g. gold, stainless steel, platinum and titanium), carbon-based or other materials
- Knowledge about scientific basis of glucose measurement: Potential partner should have knowledge/experience to theoretically explain or establish a hypothesis for the phenomenon between glucose and electrode surface to cause electronic signal generation.
It is not mandatory to meet all the above requirements at this stage, and therefore we welcome proposals as long as they have a potential to commercialize the target measurement device through additional development in 5 years.
Anticipated Project Phases or Project Plan
Respondents should submit proposals using the attached Response Template.
The client will review submitted proposals and possibly ask clarifying questions before selecting the most suitable candidates for collaboration. The client will select the best candidate(s) through evaluations. During the selection process, the client may execute non-disclosure agreements (NDA) with selected respondent(s), seek further information disclosure, and discuss specific development targets or potential opportunities.
The client will execute necessary agreement(s) with the selected respondent(s) and move to the advanced development phase. Specifics of any collaboration will be determined through consultation with the concerned parties.