PROGRAM MANAGER: Nick Kacsandi, M.S.
OPPORTUNITY: Client invites a range of potential collaborations, depending on the nature of the proposed solution and capabilities of the collaborating partner. Potential partnership opportunities may include, but are not limited to: technology licensing; product acquisition; contract research; proof of concept leading to scale-up to manufacturing; and joint development.
Phase 1 – In depth understanding of technologies offered and preliminary scope of work (by end of March 2016)
Phase 2 – Demonstrate proof of concept (beginning May 2016)
Phase 3 – Prototype testing within the client’s hydraulic control systems (TBD)
Phase 1 – Concept studies and scope of the solutions
Phase 2 – Funding to demonstrate feasibility of proposed solution (up to $25,000)
Phase 3 – Prototype funding up to $50,000 following a successful second phase. Additional funds may be made available to top partners at the client's discretion.
Subsequent phases determined based upon the nature and scope of the proposed solution.
SOLUTION PROVIDER HELP DESK:
NineSigma, representing a Global Leader in Aerospace Hydraulic Control Systems, invites proposals for innovative technologies to enable robust, reliable control of pressure within high-performance hydraulic systems. Potential long-term partners from across the landscape of industry, research and academia are invited to respond with their game-changing solutions.
NineSigma’s client manufactures a wide range of systems that rely on the fast and precise control of hydraulic pressure. Electro Hydraulic Servo Valves (EHSV) are currently used to provide pressure control and give exceptional dynamic performance. However, these components are prone to performance changes with variations in environmental conditions, exposure to fluid contamination and with long-term use. Such changes can significantly disrupt the functionality of the system, resulting in the need for unwanted maintenance activities and the potential for costly replacements by the end user.
In order to eliminate these issues, the client is seeking innovative solutions from development partners around the globe, in order to replace and improve upon the current EHSV pressure control systems currently employed. Of primary interest are technologies that are able to negate the issues faced by more traditional servo valve technologies via any suitable means, including self-monitoring and/or self-adjusting/mapping techniques to control or compensate for any performance changes, across the full range of operational use.
Anticipated Project Phases or Project Plan
Phase 1 – Develop understanding of possible application of the proposed technical solutions under development.
• Includes in-depth description, analysis of proposed technologies, joint discussions as necessary.
Phase 2 – Development of a program to demonstrate the feasibility of proposed technology, potentially including manufacture and testing of components using technologies under consideration.
Phase 3 – System integration testing using a prototype within one of the client's hydraulic control systems.
• Details to be determined pending successful Phase 1 / Phase 2 outcomes
The successful technology will provide:
Furthermore, top-rated proposals will include a discussion of the technical compatibility with one or more of the following operating requirements:
Possible approaches might include, but are not limited to:
• Advanced hydro-mechanical technologies
• Alternative hydraulic pressure control technologies
• Self-adjusting or self-positioning technologies
• Piezoelectric technologies
• Innovative direct drive valve technologies
• In-line sensors or monitoring technologies
• Solutions incorporating advanced magnetic materials
• Solutions from adjacent industrial applications involving dynamic control and actuation or related fields
The following approaches are not of interest:
• Non-hydraulic technologies
• Conceptual approaches that do not have a clear path towards proof of concept
• Literature reviews or patent searches
To respond, please make sure you are registered in NineSights, as it will prompt you to log in. Then, use the Response options at the top or bottom of the page. You may submit supplemental files in addition to your completed response form.
Appropriate responses will use the response form and address the following:
• Non-confidential description of proposed technology
• Technical maturity of the approach (concept, proof of concept, prototype, ready to commercialize, commercialized)
○ Current IP for the proposed technology (patented, etc.)
○ Overview of organizational position on handling IP
• Compatibility of the proposed solution with the requirements outlined in the “Key Success Criteria” section above.
• Discussion of how to resolve unmet Success Criteria.
• Performance data, if available and applicable
• Budget / Cost information, if available
• Team / Organization description
• Relevant expertise, experience or background related to the RFP topic area
• Desired relationship with the RFP sponsor