PROGRAM MANAGER: Nick Kacsandi, M.S.
OPPORTUNITY: The client seeks Qualified Expert Partners to participate in a series of compensated consulting opportunities related to the topic area indicated above. Interested parties should complete the Expert Capabilities Form in detail to facilitate the client’s evaluation and selection process.
The initial opportunity will be comprised of a 60-minute to 90-minute technical interview between the Expert Partner and the client’s technical team. The Expert will be expected to offer detailed topic-specific training and information based on their existing knowledge of menthol-related pain relief. The interview will be conducted remotely via digital teleconference at a mutually agreeable date and time. No travel is required.
Experts will be duly compensated for their participation in this technical interview at a rate commensurate with standard hourly consultations. As such, interested parties are neither required nor expected to conduct any extensive, preparatory research on the client’s behalf at this time. All final financial details will be negotiated and contracted directly with the client.
Note that depending on the nature and scope of expertise, the selected Expert may be invited to enter into an extended partnership arrangement with the client in furtherance of this development opportunity.
SOLUTION PROVIDER HELP DESK:
NineSigma, on behalf of a Global Specialty Products Manufacturer, is seeking Subject Matter Experts with in-depth knowledge, ongoing research or clinical expertise related to topical menthol-induced pain relief responses. Experts from across the landscape of industry, consulting and academia are invited to respond by filling out the short Expert Capabilities Form linked in the “Items to be Submitted” section below.
NineSigma’s client has established a robust knowledge base around the superficial effects of topical treatments on pain, specifically with regards to menthol. Through their development efforts, they have identified the TRPM8 receptor as being potentially influential in the regulation of pain responses in human subjects, based on animal models.
However, questions remain with regards to the specific internal biological impacts of menthol on TRPM8 and other pain receptors, and the means of optimizing menthol delivery to achieve sustained pain relief. Furthermore, there are competing theories regarding the impacts and mechanisms by which menthol-loading elicits pain relief. The understanding of topically-applied menthol’s mechanism on pain relief is often clouded by research using different models (animal v. human), differing concentrations, various outcomes (pain, blood flow, etc) and other delivery mechanisms (skin v. oral) of menthol.
The client seeks to identify a qualified industry Expert with robust knowledge and experience to act as a third-party consultant and source of up-to-date scientific information on the topic. Of specific interest are Experts with deep understanding of:
• Factors influencing activity of the TRPM8 receptor as it relates to pain relief in humans
• Factors related to the mechanism and dosage of topical menthol on the skin and receptors
• Related receptor mechanisms in human subjects
• Relationship between menthol concentration and pain relief response
The ideal Expert will have the requisite background and experience to clearly explain and answer targeted questions regarding any or all the following items:
• How the TRPM8 receptor works in humans
○ Responses to topically-applied menthol and/or induced pain relief
○ Thresholds for stimulation based on menthol activation
○ Duration of receptor saturation upon stimulation by menthol
• Additional factors or receptors (other than TRPM8) needed to activate topical pain relief
• Menthol concentration and delivery mode required to activate pain relief
○ Either at the TRPM8 receptor or otherwise
• Requirements to maintain stimulation / saturation for continuous pain relief from topical menthol
• Effects of menthol concentration on pain relief in human subjects
○ Half-life of topically-applied menthol
○ Limits to the pain relief effect
○ Effectiveness of continuous release versus timed burst release of menthol applied topically
○ Concentrations necessary to maintain pain relief
• Compare / contrast of menthol versus methyl salicylate with regards to the above items
○ Efficacy of combining these two for greater pain relief
Potential experts may be involved in a wide range of technical disciplines, including – but not limited to:
• Pain Management
• Topical Pharmacokinetics
• Skin Science
• Drug Delivery
• Applied Biology
• Clinical Medicine
To respond to this project, please use this Expert Capabilities Form. You will be asked to provide relevant details as well as have the opportunity to attach up to three (3) supporting documents. All completed submissions will be presented to our client for their review. All proposals submitted must be of a non-confidential nature.
If you have technical questions related to this project, please contact Nick Kacasndi, M.S. at email@example.com.
If you need assistance for other aspects related to this project, please contact the NineSigma Provider Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-216-283-3901